Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Incorperating ISTE - Part 2

ISTE Standard #6 is all about how to help our students become "Creative Communicators". In the music classroom, there is no shortage of creativity! The arts allow for creative composition of ideas, expression of emotion, and connection to others. Though how can I, as a music educatior, foster skills that also encompass creative communication with others?

Its all about how to harness the vast individuality of a creative idea and beign able to convey it to others. There are infinite possibilities. In a choral setting it is communicating without speaking: communicating through gestures and facial expressions. In a general music classroom this could be communicating ideas and emotions through musical composition or performance.

In my Musi Appreciation class this year, I hope to be able to give my students the opportunity to creatively express themselves through a variety of projects. Such projects include allowing themselves the opportunity to choose presentation platforms and a project at the end of the year called "The Soundtrack of My Life" in which the students create a "story album" that represents them.

I referenced my Musical Genres unit in my last post. I am excited to guide my students to creatively communicate their understanding of genres with their peers by allowing each of my students to create a "genre playlist" including one song selection per genre we discuss and one genre of their choice. These playlists will be used to play Genre Bingo as a class at the end of the unit. By allowing my students to curate the playlists, it not only assesses their ability to identify musical qualities, but to seek them out as well. Student created playlists (especially the free choice selections) will provide the entire class with a wider listening repertoire by allowing classmates to expose each other to songs and genres they may not be familiar with.

I have always used Genre Bingo as the final project for my genre unit, but I am so excited to add this student-driven aspect to my unit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment